Visiting your obstetrician and gynecologist (OB-GYN) is important in maintaining your reproductive and overall health. OB-GYNs are trained physicians who specialize in caring for women’s reproductive systems and overall health. San Antonio, TX obstetrics and gynecology helps with the care of women’s reproductive health and general well-being
During a visit, your OB-GYN will perform a physical examination, including a pelvic exam, breast exam, and Pap smear. They will also ask you questions about your medical history and any symptoms you may be experiencing. If needed, the OB-GYN may order additional tests, such as blood work or imaging. They will discuss the results of any tests with you and provide any necessary treatment or recommendations for further care.
It is recommended that women schedule regular check-ups with their OB-GYN, typically starting at age 21, for preventative care and early detection of any potential health issues. During pregnancy, regular visits with an OB-GYN are crucial for the proper care of both mother and baby.
When booking an appointment to see an obstetrician and gynecologist (OB-GYN), you can expect the following process to occur:
- Scheduling the appointment: You need to contact the OB-GYN’s office via phone call or online to schedule an appointment.
- Gathering information: The office will ask for your personal and insurance information. They will also ask for the reason for your visit, such as a routine check-up, pregnancy care, or some specific concerns.
- Preparing for the appointment: Before your appointment, you may be asked to fill out paperwork, such as a medical history form. You may also be asked to fast before your appointment or refrain from using certain medications.
- The appointment: During the appointment, the OB-GYN will conduct a physical examination, which may include a pelvic exam and a Pap smear. If needed, they may also order additional tests, such as blood work or imaging.
- Follow-up: The OB-GYN will discuss the results of any tests with you and provide any necessary treatment or recommendations for further care. They will also schedule follow-up appointments as needed.
Services that an OB-GYN can offer
OB-GYNs are trained to provide a wide range of services, including:
- Prenatal care: OB-GYNs provide care for women during pregnancy, including regular check-ups, monitoring the baby’s growth and development, and managing any possible complications.
- Delivery: OB-GYNs are trained to deliver babies and provide care for both the mother and baby during labor and delivery.
- Gynecological care: OB-GYNs provide care for women’s reproductive health, including routine check-ups, screenings, and treatment for conditions such as menstrual irregularities, infertility, and menopause.
- Cancer screenings: OB-GYNs perform screenings for cancers of the reproductive system, such as cervical, ovarian, and endometrial cancer.
- Family planning: OB-GYNs provide education and options for family planning, including birth control options and fertility treatments.
- Sexual health: OB-GYNs can provide care related to sexual health, such as counseling, testing and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, and counseling on sexual dysfunction.
- Menopause management: OB-GYNs can provide care and treatment options for the symptoms and health concerns associated with menopause.
- Support and guidance: OB-GYNs can provide emotional support and guidance to women throughout different stages of their lives and help them navigate any concerns or challenges they may face.
Contact your OB/GYN at Aurora OB/GYN to learn about your reproductive health.